||Now hiring for our Volunteer and Youth Services Specialist position. This position will be full time non-exempt, paying $14-$17 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, 401(k), retirement, etc. Applicants will be subject to national criminal background check before hire. Please email your resume and cover letter to Shonte Jessick at JessickS@usa.redcross.org.
Under the supervision and direction of the Director of Volunteer and Youth Services, this position assists in involving adult and youth volunteers in Red Cross services. Duties will include recruiting youth, young adult and adult volunteers, coordinating and supporting volunteer activities, planning and implementing volunteer programs, supporting the Director of Volunteer and Youth Services and other duties as assigned.
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION (.pdf): Click here
1. B.A. degree, or upper division units in Sociology, Psychology or related subject. Must be willing to take Red Cross training courses and become certified in first aid and CPR.
2. Must have valid California Drivers License.
3. Experience with youth programs. Non-profit sector experience is helpful.
4. Good public speaking and written communication skills.
5. Mature, businesslike manner. Good role model for youth.
6. Ability to organize and prioritize work; develop and control budgets; develop long and short range plans in assigned areas of responsibility.
7. Able to work well with adult and youth volunteers from a wide variety of backgrounds, cultures, and economic strata.
8. Position is “hands-on” and specialist is expected to be able to carry out duties and responsibilities of all job functions and tasks falling within volunteer management and special events responsibilities. Position performs own clerical and paperwork processing, including word processing and/or spreadsheets, or other computer data, as necessary.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Shonte Jessick at JessickS@usa.redcross.org. NO PHONE CALLS, NO RECRUITERS PLEASE.
We Depend on Volunteers
Volunteers constitute 96 percent of our total work force to carry on our humanitarian work:
* The Red Cross currently engages over 169,000 youth and young adults with meaningful opportunities for education, training, and volunteer/community service so that they remain a part of the Red Cross family throughout their lives.
* Every year Red Cross volunteers respond to more than 70,000 disasters—including approximately 150 home fires every day .
* About 11 million Americans turn to us to learn first aid, CPR, swimming, and other health and safety skills. Last year, more than 158,000 people volunteered to teach those courses.
* Half the nation's blood supply— six million pints annually— is collected by more than 155,000 Red Cross volunteers.
* Among our emergency services for the men and women of the armed forces is the delivery of urgent family messages—around the clock and around the globe.
* More than 30,900 volunteers serve as chairs, members of boards of directors, or on advisory boards for local Red Cross units - chapters, Blood Services regions, and military stations.
* As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, Red Cross reconnects more than 8,000 families separated by conflicts and disasters around the world through international tracking services and Red Cross messages.
For more information on youth and young adults in the Red Cross, click here.